Friday, October 24, 2014

apple leaf crayon resists

Leaf rubbings are nothing new. I remember doing them when  I was small. For our two week unit on all things apple, I brought in some leaves from my apple tree to see if we could pull of some pretty ghostie rubbings.
Along with apple leaves, I brought in nasturtium, grape, and blackberry. The leaves looked quite pretty in our basket. A few may have even made their way to the play dough table. To begin, gather up an assortment of leaves and set them within reach of your kiddo(s). Use a sturdy white paper, we used watercolor paper purchased from Michael's from their creatology line. Next up, set up your watercolors. We used liquid watercolors at their full strength in small baby food jars. I prefer the liquid water colors for their vibrancy but you can also use a caked water color set. While I did have the leaves, paper, and crayons all set up, I asked each child what two colors they would like to use for their painting. The first kiddo said pink and purple and well...if you know kiddos it is how easily they want what their buddy has so most of our rubbings are with the same colors. We used white crayons for this project and the  rubbings are really pretty. I purchased a box of white crayons a few years ago. I cannot remember where I found them but I would try online if you are looking.

Each kiddo selected a leaf or two and placed them on the table in front of them. They then placed the paper over the leaves. Many found that they would have to rearrange leaves and/or paper a bit to accommodate everything. After that I did demo how to use the side of the crayon. We talked about pushing it like a broom. Some of the kiddos needed a little extra help to get the pressure right to pick up the details of the leaves. All of the children exclaimed over not being able to see anything.
After your kiddo has used their crayon for the rubbing, remove the leaves and get to painting. One tip for this is to use smaller cuts of paper. Smaller kiddos have a trying time covering all that white space so I will often cut larger sheets of paper into smaller sizes often mixing it up with skinny pieces, squares, rectangles, etc. This way they get to choose what shape and how small or large their art will be. We used small watercolor brushes to apply the paint and there was a lot of "oooohing" and "aaahhhing". It was really sweet.
Hang to dry and display in a pretty space. We're putting our small paintings into our classroom journals but I think these would make lovely cards or gifts. Don't you?
On the flip side, you can paint the leaves and press them onto your paper as well (which is was my assistant did with all the puddles of watercolor on the table). Super swoony!

No comments:

Post a Comment