Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Picture Book Month: Swami on Rye

Published by Viking Juvenile, 1995

Swami on Rye is one of my most favorite picture books (what's not to adore about cricket games, red herrings, vampires and a father-to-be flying about on a magic carpet?) Maira Kalman is one of my most favorite people ever. She is a visionary and secretly I liken myself to being a kindred spirit with her. Though she is probably much more interesting than I.  Truthfully, any of the Max books are a good choice. People can be very particular about their favorite Max book, I happen to like this one best. Max books are lyrical and slightly nonsensical. They are not even close to being linear and quite difficult to read out loud to a large group (I speak from experience). One on one however, they are perfect and full of whimsy and wonder and quirk. They are probably more suited for us grown-ups yet I know oodles of kiddos who adore Max as much as I do. Don't miss out on Max or Maira, there is sure to be something for everyone in her wonderful world.

Don't forget, November is picture book month. Check out the official
blog here!

No comments:

Post a Comment