Wednesday, October 23, 2013

our classroom apple tree


Back when I was working on my lesson plan for our apple fiesta (three weeks of apple books and play) I spied this awesome pom-pom apple tree on pinterest. I hopped on over to Two Daloo, the original source and found a brand new blog to love.  This was one of those "I have to do this projects"...


And so I did...


I searched and searched for a budget friendly tree to sue but could not find one. Luck happened upon us in the guise of a windy day that dropped a large tree branch on our neighbor's lawn.


After more than a dozen eye-rolls, I convinced the mister that dragging the branch back to the garden and then trimming it down would totally work. It did! We trimmed two portions of the branch and propped them into a clay pot partly filled with soil and gravel. This way the tree is easily "broken-down" and can be re-used over and over again (oh if I had the time I would have made Halloween poms)!


The children loved hanging apples on the tree and then picking them. I keep finding the happy little poms in the play kitchen tucked into pots, cups, and muffin tins. 


The time spent making the poms was totally worth it! Now I need to find small pine cones...

2 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOVE this idea! OK- where is my hack saw... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Our neighbor's Elm is always breaking off and falling into our driveway...where the mister sees a mess, I see an opportunity! Have fun!

      Delete